Death toll rises to 132




NEW DELHI: The death toll as a result of a pedestrian bridge collapse in the western Indian state of Gujarat has climbed to 141, official said on Monday, adding that those who died were mostly women and children.

Following Morbi tragedy, Indian Prime Minister Modi cancels road show, page committee conference in Gujarat.

More than 400 people were on the suspension bridge over the Machhu River in the town of Morbi at the time of the collapse, local media news reported. Some 177 people have been rescued as more than 200 personnel were deployed to carry out search ad rescue operations.

Indian Defense Ministry said Indian Army teams had been deployed in Morbi, Gujarat to carry out search and rescue operations for survivors of the mishap. All three defense services have deployed their teams for search operations, the ministry said, adding that three Indian Coast Guard teams consisting of divers, equipment, boats and other material had also been deployed on-site at Morbi since last night.

TV footage showed dozens of people clinging onto the cables and twisted remains of the collapsed bridge as emergency teams struggled to rescue them. Some clambered up them to try to make their way to the riverbanks, while others swam to safety.

Indian media reports suggested that the company responsible for the renovation and repair work of the bridge reportedly did not get a ‘fitness certificate’ from the municipality before reopening the bridge. Gujarat Home Minister Harsh Sanghvi said a criminal complaint had been filed against the company responsible for renovation work of bridge.

Do you want to read authentic news from Pakistan & across the world? So download MM News App Now !



No comments

Powered by Blogger.